Last I left you in this flowerbed/patio project of ours, an insane amount of heavy goodies had been freshly unloaded in our driveway. Now the time had come to start doing something about it for two reasons: 1. The fiancé and I were ready to start enjoying a new patio and 2. I’m sure the neighbors were less than pleased with the concrete eye sores that had taken over our carport.
Time to get down & dirty in the backyard. First on our list was to complete the two raised flowerbeds in the works for either side of the steps.
Remember this master plan I threw together a couple of months ago?…
The first step in putting together the raised flowerbeds (that I completely just dreamed up in my head) was to dig and level a trench with the help of a tiller and good old fashioned elbow grease. (Note to the reader: Don’t for one second think I did all this work by myself. I had a crew of DIYers that I will be forever grateful for and who will be identified on this blog for donating their Saturday to a very sweaty, very dirty cause.)
Stakes and string helped make sure the first row of retaining wall blocks were lined up properly and as level as possible.
Once the first row was under control, the other rows fell right into place, alternating placement and setting each row an inch or so closer to the house than the row directly below it to help offset the weight of the dirt.
Six hours and 78 blocks the weight of a four year old later, these flowerbeds were a wrap…
…and my soon-to-be mother-in-law and I had arms of jello.